Sunday, August 24, 2008

Calling all mothers

So I am trying to adjust to motherhood. The first couple of nights were long but I am getting used to getting up at all hours for who knows how long. I really can't complain. Esther is a good baby. She hardly ever fusses and usually it gets resolved with a bottle. It has been a little bit harder adjusting to being home all the time. I am used to just going and going on my days off because I always had a list of things to get done. I have had to adjust to a slightly slower pace and it is OK that I am still in my PJ's at noon. I am sure many of you can relate to your first baby after working full time for years. So I have a question. Esther the last two nights won't sleep in her own bed. She sleeps great in the cradle during the day but at night after she is done eating and asleep in my arms I go to lie her down and she wakes up. She has spent the last two night sleeping in our bed. I don't want her to be 2 and still sleeping in our bed. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey Kathryn, you're doing good if you get dressed before Michael gets home from work! I remember once wearing my pj's for 2 days straight! Getting my boys to sleep at night was never the easiest thing for us, but you might try just having her sleep in her crib all the time (that is where you are trying at night, right?). That way she learns that when she goes in her crib, it is time for sleeping and she will be used to it more than if she is just going there at night. All children are different, so I hope you find the magical solution! Good luck. If it doesn't work, I'm sure she won't be 16 and still sleeping in your bed--eventually it will work out!

Tal gal said...

I did the miracle blanket with Hank and loved it. It's a swaddle blanket and totally did the trick with him.

I wish I could say it is better now but with potty breaks and 2 year old teeth coming in I still an sleep deprived!

Teresa Beth Brower Timms said...

I use to put a heating pad under the sheet of the cradle and when I'd take the baby out at night I'd turn the pad on LOW. When I'd put the baby back into the warm cozy cradle I'd shut off the heating pad - worked like magic - it wasn't a shock for their little bodies to go back into a cold bed. BE SURE you don't leave the heating pad on - babies can dehydrate too fast - if you're concerned that you might leave it on then just put it in when you take the baby out and take it out when you put the baby in...

I know every little sleeping moment a new mother can catch is precious!