Monday, March 1, 2010

How to get tapioca pudding out of the microwave.

I had to buy tapioca pudding this weekend for a plum crisp that I was making for a family get together. This morning I thought since I have left over tapioca I would make some. It has been years since I have had tapioca pudding and I have never made it before. Keep in mind this is instant tapioca so it can't be that hard. I read the directions and decide to try the microwave recipe. I put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir it up. The bowl I am using is a little small but it is the only glass bowl I have clean at the moment, it will be OK. I am supposed to cook it for 10-12 min stirring every 3 min. I put it in the microwave set the timer and go down stairs where Esther is, Henry is napping. After a couple of minute I return upstairs to stir and then return back down stairs. Do you see where this is going. After a couple more minute I return back upstairs and open the microwave to reveal tapioca everywhere. The bowl that I thought would be OK was of course way to small and all the tapioca boiled out all over. I have to use oven mitts to get the bowl out of the microwave and wait till the tapioca cooled before I can start the clean up. After about 15 min I return back to the microwave. I pull out the glass plate which drips all over the floor as I move it to the sink. Then I have a brilliant idea. I will just scoop all the tapioca out onto a plate. Of course as I am pushing it out of the microwave onto the plate it runs all down the microwave into cracks that I have no idea how I am going to get it out. Then the piece that the glass revolving platter sits on has tapioca underneath it so I just pull it out. Now there is tapioca inside the inside of the microwave. Finally after 20 minutes of cleaning I get most of the tapioca taken care of. The kitchen smells like tapioca and I don't have any to eat. I return downstairs to find Esther licking the mouse to the computer. This is just how my days go and today it just 10am.

11:30
I am fixing lunch for Esther and Henry who are not the most patient kids when it comes to food. Sometimes if a need a moment to get things ready I give them gold fish crackers. In the past I have given Henry half of one but Michael gave him a whole one the other day and he did just fine, do you see where this is going. I give him a whole one and he does just fine so lunch continues. After about 20 minutes Esther starts throwing her food on the floor so get her down which produces an outburst. I give Henry another gold fish to keep him busy while I deal with Esther. Now Henry is very sensitive to textures and has gaged/coughed before but nothing real serious. So of course this time he didn't chew enough and starts to choke. I encourage him to keep coughing but this time he starts to go dusky, thank goodness I know the Heimlich. With Esther continuing her fit and Henry going blue I give one quick thrust to his back and out comes the goldfish. After tears and noses are wiped everyone is back to their happy selves. I can't wait to see what the rest of the day has instore.

PS. I have lost my cell phone

2 comments:

Carrie Hellewell said...

Sheez. That's quite something.

Jennifer said...

It's those days that make you the most grateful for the "boring" ones! You are not alone! I LOVE waiting to see what else the day will bring on those days--it is just kind of expected that they just keep coming. I had to laugh though--because I have gone through many of those days myself. By the end of the day I am either laughing or crying.
Well...I've got to get myself something to eat--for some reason tapioca is sounding good...ha ha ha.
Hope you have a less exciting day today!